Sunday 1 April 2007

From the Sparrows Nest - by Derek Spades (the groundsman who DOES give two forks)


Hello my lovelies, how’s it hanging ? What a game eh? Thought the pitch lasted well .Couldn’t tell which were the bigger lumps, the divots at half-time or those rugby club blokes !
Did I tell you how the Guvnor let me have some of the ground behind the clubhouse for an allotment ? It’s been doing great ever since I treated the soil with a thick heavy layer of special compost one of the cleaning lads got me from the Valley. I asked him where it was from but he changed the subject pretty sharpish.
Anyway I was picking some lovely big courgettes the other day and for some reason young Scotty Minto came to mind. The toast of the dressing room. Always had a big kick too .
Well it’s Spring here again at Sparrows and the grass has kicked off big time. It’s always been a problem what to do with all them cuttings,so when we hit upon dumping them on that uneven patch by the entrance it was perfect. It’s an area full of strange shaped bumps and we’ve never really known what to do with it. The lads here call it the Jimmy Floyd patch.
I was sitting on the mower having a brew the other day ,leafing through a copy of “What Fork“, when the phone went and it was Pards asking for some help with space. Apparently he’s been kicked out of the team briefing room at the Valley because every time he has one of his Team Talks, the Guvnor has to get the decorators back in to steam clean and re-paint the walls.
I told him he could have Curb’s old room here, where Curbs used to go to “think about life” as he put it.
Sorting it out, imagine my surprise when I opened the old cupboard and out fell about 500 copies of “Valley Of Dreams“. Well you can only guess….!
I’ll always remember the times Curbs and I sat on the veranda nursing a couple of glasses of Algerian red. One day when we were ruminating on life in general, Curbs turned to me and said he thought that maybe Jean Paul Sartre had been right all along when he said “ When the pigeons flutter and swoop in the floodlights, they’re expecting to be hit by a tin of sardines” *
...Least I think that’s what he said.

( * With thanks to Sam Lloyd and Cantona. (top job at Sainsburys Eric!)

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Recipes